It's been two years, two months, and twenty-two days since my sister, Tabitha Brock, was murdered. I never thought in the slightest imaginings that something this tragic and heartbreaking would happen to my family. It was a cold harsh reality that morning when the detectives were sitting with us in my mother's living room telling us my sister my dead. She was found in her car burned. We had to wait until the autopsy was completed to be sure it was her, but there was a silent knowing among those in the room. We just knew that it was her and that he had done it. Before Tabitha's murder I don't know if I even knew what the word domestic violence was. It was something foreign that didn't happen in my family or anyone I knew. Or so I thought until that moment. Before being educated on domestic violence it was easy to play off the signs and symptoms of abuse or to be unable to recognize it. I knew that he had been cruel and hateful to my sister many times. That he manipulated her, called her names, and stole things from her. But still it did not register that MY SISTER was a victim of domestic violence. No, as far as we knew he had never hit her before that night. But, she went through TEN years of emotional, mental, and psychological abuse from him. I understand now that what she was going through was the Cycle of Violence, but it makes me realize even more so how badly we need education about domestic violence in our communities. You only think about domestic violence when there is physical violence, but there are so many other forms of abuse that are not talked about. That could ultimately lead to domestic violence homicide. You never think it will happen to your family, but once it happens your lives are irrevocably changed. I knew after Tabitha's murder that I couldn't bear for any other family to go through the pain that we have in losing a loved one. I started this foundation to spread awareness on this epidemic and hopefully allow victims still in abusive relationships to see they are not alone. That there are people out there advocating against this and they can find help. We do weekly posts now sharing the stories of victims of violence who have lost their lives and survivors to show to spread awareness and sign a spotlight on why violence must end. I hope that you will join in my family's journey after Tabitha's murder.
Thank You & Sending You Love,
Tabitha's Little Sister,
Nikki
www.facebook.com/justicefortabitha
www.twitter.com/justice4tabitha
www.thetabithabrockfoundation.com
No comments:
Post a Comment